Saturday, July 11, 2015

summer style essentials

Summer is totally in full swing! And if you're in Chicago like me, you better enjoy the nice warm weather while you can.  I've put together a small guide to my favorite beauty and lifestyle picks for this season. Now, I'm definitely not one of those people with a "fussy" beauty routine. I don't spend hours picking out my outfits each day, either. I have my tried and true brands that I love, and it keeps getting ready in the morning very easy! I'll tune you in to both my fav products as well as style tips - read the full post below to score some of my style!



Beauty:

So these are my TOP picks for beauty, as I use these each and every day.  If you want to switch up your look for summer, a great way is to simply dye - not cut! - your hair. It's less permanent and lets you experiment. I dyed my hair jet black a month ago and love the look. Haircare company Madison Reed has created a healthier at-home dye, and they also have other great products to help maintain that summer frizz. Check out their hair dye advisor page to take a fun quiz on what color is best for you!

1. John Frieda Frizz Ease // $6 at drugstores. Just a little goes a long way - a tiny pea-sized dollop of this taming cream prevents frizz and flyways on straightened hair. I use it mostly at the bottom ends of my hair so they lay perfectly straight! DO NOT use more than a small dollop - if you use too much, your hair WILL get greasy. You've been warned.

2. Tocca Florence // $22 at Sephora. A totally Parisian scent, light with a hint of gardenia and jasmine. The rollerball is small enough to fit in any bag or even a wallet. I usually don't like floral scents because they're too feminine. But, this one has a pureness to it, like you're walking through wildflower fields.

3. Lush BB Seaweed Mask // $6.95 at Lush. This has got ground almonds to exfoliate, olive oil to moisturize, and of course nutrient-rich seaweed to power-charge skin. I have super itchy skin all the time, whether it's from mosquito bites or even the sun. This seems to calm everything down and prevent redness. My other favorite Lush product is their "Formulae Known As" body lotion. It's vegan too!

4.TokyoMilk Rose Water Lip Balm // $10, Tokyomilk. My favorite scent is rose, and this lightly scented sheer lip balm is great for everyday use. I really love anything TokyoMilk, because the fragrance really lasts all day. Anything Tokyomilk makes a great gift for a sister or a friend too, as their package design is so intricately cool. It's all got a vintage, Victorian flair that's super unique!

5. Dear Clark, Volumizing Tonic // $26 for 6oz., Birchbox. I use this to get beachy hair; a few spritzes adds volume and a bit of a wavy texture to your locks. Also, it smells like a mix of pachouli and herbs, which goes perfectly with any summery bohemian outfit!



Nails:

I think that neatly manicured nails are definitely a must. Now, if you've ever read any of my tutorials, my nails are always a MESS in the pictures. But it's ok, because I'm in the middle of crafting, painting or beading. I discovered gel polish (the kind you need a lamp for) about a year ago and never looked back. I'll use this all the time, because it can stand up to the wear and tear that crafting involves. Gel nails are great for summer, because they won't chip or "flake" if you're in the pool or at the beach. But who am I kidding - I am never at either of those places during the summer! :(

1. Burts Bees Hand Salve // $9, Burt's Bees. This thin - not lumpy or greasy - hand salve doubles as a cuticle cream. I use it all the time after any manicure to keep skin from drying out in the summer heat. It smells sort of like eucalyptus and you only use a very little at a time.

2. Sally Hansen Gel Manicure in White Away // $13 at Ulta. I have the whole LED Sally Hansen Gel Manicure kit, and it's the only kind of nail polish I ever wear. If you do it right, this polish will last for WEEKS on end, sometimes more. You can grab the whole kit at Ulta, but my favorite color for summer is White Away, a simple and pure white that contrasts against tan skin.



Jewelry: Bohemian Rings. Summer's the time when I really am obsessed with wearing stacking rings. I like to mix the metals for a more eclectic look, but keeping the colors somewhat coordinated. Forever 21 has a great selection of cheap rings, perfect for the season. Some of the other places for great rings:

1. FleurCaroline // A Dutch artist who creates simply chic rings from fine silver and gold. The topmost moon ring is my favorite piece of hers!

2. Generation Bliss //  An online boutique where I get most of my rings! The mystic topaz, gold and rhinestone "X" ring above are from this store.

3. Vintage. Nothing beats a totally cool vintage ring that you can mix with modern styles and create a totally unique look. I look for these at local antique or vintage stores and flea markets.





5. Gemstones. So during the summer, I'm all about that gypsy vibe. I've always been into gemstones, and me and my cousin actually tumble our own stones. This gives me plenty of mystical "power" to distribute everywhere! I always keep some stones in my wallet. These are my top picks:

1. Golden Jasper. This has been used since ancient times as a talisman of sorts. It brings general good luck and protection.

2. Black Tourmaline. Black Tourmaline is really great at protecting against EMFs, or the waves that phones (that we're always on during the summer) and other devices emit. Keeping this close to yourself is a great way to guard against these rays.

3. Girasol Opal. This is one of my favorite stones! It really aids in channeling creative energies and forces. I always am looking for inspiration when the weather is warmer, wether it's for a new blog post, style inspiration, photo ops or more. Having this stone on me always helps keep the creativity flowing!

4. Green Tea Agate. This stone boosts the immune system, because who wants to get sick during the summer?!

No comments:

Post a Comment