Saturday, July 11, 2015

m o o n c h i l d ✴ n e c k l a c e



        


So if you know my style, you know I love anything slightly edgy yet totally sparkly. I was inspired to make this necklace by looking at this Lanvin beauty -- the deep antique gold tones and crescent moon pendant are simply stunning. To make my version, I created a clay moon charm and pressed in glass rhinestone chatons, dusting the clay with - what?! - gold eyeshadow before baking. This is a little trick of mine; dusting polymer clay with shimmer eyeshadow (and subsequently rubbing it in gently) creates a surface sheen that really amps up the luxe look of the clay. Try it, you'll see!

The diamond-cut antique gold chain has a traditional look, but mixing it with more modern silver sleek links creates a contrast that I rather like. Plus, both silver (from the crystals) and a dark gold (from the clay) are present in the pendant, and the two chains bring these elements together. The chains were from Cousin Corporation and the rhinestone chatons from Pandahall. If I were wearing this necklace, I'd pair with a black tunic top, leggings and combat boots. However, fortunately, my trusty model Karlee Dewan is much more adventurous. We styled it with a white crop top, sharp black blazer and black cigarette pants for a modern Madonna-type look. What do you think?!


☽ ★ ☾ ☆ The full-orbed moon with unchanged ray Mounts up the eastern sky, Not doomed to these short nights for aye, But shining steadily.
She does not wane, but my fortune, Which her rays do not bless, My wayward path declineth soon, But she shines not the less.
And if she faintly glimmers here, And paled is her light, Yet alway in her proper sphere She's mistress of the night.
☽ ★ ☾ ☆

-Henry David Thoreau

COPYRIGHT
Because I take all photos for my blog, the images within this post are all copyright Allison Beth Cooling for Quiet Lion Creations. If you'd like permission to use a photo, email me at allison@quietlioncreations.com

No comments:

Post a Comment