Sunday, September 27, 2015

Baja Breeze Garland diy



It's definitely time for a fiesta! This Mexican-inspired decoration, complete with Swarovski crystals and yarn tassels, is perfect for setting a party-like tone to any room.

I love any decoration that's fuss-free; simply hang this from a window, drape across your wall (like I did, see below), or even put it in a tree for an outdoor fete.



It's lightweight, but packs major sparkles, and the fringe flows in the wind! Like most of my tutorials, you can choose any colors you want, and any fabric you please. I've used a boho-type printed piece, which I think adds a bit of a "pop", don't you think?!



Step 1: Gather materials. I am using thick cotton woven fabric (make sure it has the woven threads, so that it creates fringe), Swarovski Blue Zircon hot fix crystals, Jewelry Basics by Cousin sea glass beads, white yarn and E6000 glue. The Swarovski crystals were courtesy jewelry supplier PrimaBead.

Crochet a single strand of yarn until it's as long as you want your garland to be. Tie off the ends.



Start by cutting shapes out of your fabric. I alternated between triangles and hexagons. Make sure you cut the fabric so that there is a flap you can fold over the yarn, to create the "pennants".  To create fringe, pull out the bottommost threads in the weave.

Simply lay out crystals in the center of each "pennant", and use a hot fix tool or an iron to set them. I did large and small triangles in the centers, to reflect the overall shape.

Simply glue on each crystallized "pennant" with E6000 glue to the yarn, folding over the flap you made in the first step. I used paperclips to help the glue hold, then removed them. Space everything out evenly!



Create tassels from your yarn, and use thin cotton thread and beads to attach to the bottom of your crystal "pennants".  I just simply tied knots to finish off these beaded tassels.



I love the color combo of teal and purple - kind of unexpected, but definitely bright and bold. I will leave you with a few more inspo pics to finish!



In case you're wondering where I got those fairy lights , you can grab them off Amazon here. They are my favorite, as they are super lightweight, and since they are on wire, look invisible compared to bulky Christmas lights.




COPYRIGHT
Because I take all photos for my blog, the images within this post are all copyright Allison Beth Cooling for Quiet Lion Creations. If you'd like permission to use a photo, email me at allison@quietlioncreations.com

No comments:

Post a Comment