Thursday, August 6, 2015

Hawaiian Orchid Earrings



I literally cannot get enough of these earrings. The mix of bright gold metal, ab coated glass beads, faceted mirror crystal and filigreed coins create totally luxe-looking ear candy. And, what's best about these is that a beginner beaded can make them. I'm serious.



I got the idea for these after seeing those beautiful golden orchid posts from Doreenbeads. I had never seen something like this; usually, all that's sold are plain silver or gold posts. These, of course, are pretty amazing, and great for those who don't like dangle earrings. You don't need to decorate these with much-- a simple beaded charm completes the look. I'll show you the steps I took towards making a chain drop, but you can customize this to create looks all your own.

   

These earrings totally remind me of Hawaii. It's a place I've never been, but I feel is totally up my alley. Fresh flowers, salty air, the Island vibes and plenty of cool landscapes and terrain (great for photoshoots!) are all things I love. The Hawaiian orchid is one of my favorite flowers (as well as Plumerias, also native to Hawaii), so these earrings are perfect for anyone going to the beach. They give an upscale bohemian touch to any outfit.

   
 

Feel free to play around with colors and bead types, to find combinations that you like best. I stuck with blues and oranges here to compliment the gold tones. Other colors that I could see working are deep amethyst hues, milky whites or even rosy pinks.



Step 1: Gather materials. Needed are Gold Orchid earring posts (from DoreenBeads.com), small gold link chain, gold headpins, glass crystals (I used a combination of 4mm faceted blue rounds and 8mm teal rondelles, both from DoreenBeads.com) glass AB coated beads (16X13mm blue glass beads, 23mm glass twisted beads, 18mm champagne teardrop beads -- all from DoreenBeads.com again!), round nose pliers, flat nose pliers and wire cutters.



Step 2: Add your glass bead to the headpin, and create a top loop with your round nose pliers. Repeat. Cut a 2" piece of chain (or however long you want your drops) and repeat.



Step 3: Open the top loop and attach to the chain piece. Repeat with the other piece.



Step 4: If you want to add another smaller dangle, repeat the process using your smaller round faceted crystals and add this drop AND the twisted glass drop to a jumpring (4mm). Add the jumpring to the bottom attachment on the orchid post and close.

Pretty easy, right?! I'm gonna leave you with more inspo photos to follow.






COPYRIGHT
Because I take all photos for my blog, the images within this post are all copyright Allison Beth Cooling for Quiet Lion Creations. If you'd like permission to use a photo, email me at allison@quietlioncreations.com

No comments:

Post a Comment