Sunday, March 22, 2015

lucky lantern earrings

quiet lion creations by allison beth cooling lucky lantern earrings

Taking notes from my new Chinese calligraphy book, these well-balanced, lucky golden earrings are a great accessory to add chicness to any outfit.

quiet lion creations by allison beth cooling lucky lantern earrings

What makes the design are these cool golden hematite beads from Pandahall- I love the slightly faceted look and the liquid metal shine. Offset by more earthy, faceted turquoise beads, the gold pops. The geometric shape of the earrings remind me of those cool Chinese paper lanterns (I have them hanging in my room, love them).



Creating beaded links and connecting them is what this tutorial's all about. I of course added a crystal drop to finish off with a bit of sparkle. When don't I use sparkle?!



I also really love the bright blue color, but it's not too much - these still are super sophisticated, great for work or office attire.



Step 1: Gather materials: needed are pliers (round nose and wire cutters), gold wire or eye pins (eye pins are so much easier), headpins, gold chain, faceted gold hematite beads from Pandahall (similar here and here), 4mm faceted turquoise beads from Pandahall,  6mm Austrian bicone crystals from Pandahall,  and gold jump rings.



With either your eye pins or pieces of wire (you could also use wire scraps, much like I did in my Modernist Hand Bracelet tutorial) create beaded charms using three gold hematite beads per charm. You will need only 6 charms for this earring tutorial.



On another eye pin, string on a turquoise and a bead link - repeat twice more, then finish with turquoise. Bend headpin at right angle to last bead. Make another bead charm with the grey Austiran crystal on a headpin. Group the bottom three loops of the hematite charms with a jumpring - add a turquoise bead link, then the crystal. Finally, create a loop out of that excess wire and cut flush. Add a turquoise bead charm on each loop of the eye pin. Yours should look like the rightmost picture.



Add a jumpring to each side of the eye pin. Now, add about a 2" piece of gold chain to the jump rings. Simply add your fishhook to the middle of this length of chain. Repeat for the second earring!




I could totally see these working in different color schemes. Gold and black would work well for a completely neutral palette. Or, go with gold and silver for a mixed metal theme.



Being surprisingly lightweight, these earrings flow in the wind, and have a lot of movement to them. I love chandelier earrings that won't totally stretch my ear out, right?!



I'll leave you to view the rest of the glamour shots. If you make these using this tutorial, be sure to post on instagram and tag me @quietlioncreations! I'll repost you!

quiet lion creations by allison beth cooling lucky lantern earrings 
 


All photos copyright Allison Beth Cooling for Quiet Lion Creations. Do not post or reuse without crediting me and linking to me!

2 comments:

  1. I love these; they are quite beautiful! The photography is simply wonderful also. Bravo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete