Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Antique Emerald Earrings



I'm taking cues from the Victorian era for this next tutorial. Green hues mix here with bronze filigree frames, a touch of antique lace, classy pearls and plenty of sparkle.



When I first got these antique cabochon bezel settings by Pandahall.com, I was thinking of going the ordinary route by making some sort of photo charm with resin. However, like always, I needed some glitz. So, why not fill with rhinestone flatbacks for more of an organic, "lost-and-found" look?! I like the mix of these Cousin M'Bellish rimmed crystals, metallic faceted flatbacks and teardrop sparklies. These are meant to be ironed on clothing, but I simply used glue to adhere them to the frames. You can grab these at Michael's, JoAnn Fabrics, Walmart and AC Moore stores.



Finishing with a lace remnant tie and feminine pearls (along with mixed-metal gold ear wires) give a very "flea market" vibe to these earrings, which I like. Things that are too perfect are not very interesting! These come together real quick, the longest part involving the glue drying. Let's get started!



Step 1: Gather materials. I used antique bead frames from PandaHall, 6mm white pearls from Pandahall, an assortment of crystal flat backs (from Cousin M'Bellish), pliers, scrap lace, E6000 glue and gold wire or headpins/eyepins (from Cousin), gold fishhooks (not pictured) and jump rings (not pictured).



Step 2: Take the crystal flat backs and glue them into the antique frames. Use a toothpick and a small amount of glue per rhinestone. Fill the frame. I used different shaped rhinestones for variation. I then cut a piece of lace about .5" long by 4" or so, and threaded it through the top loop in the frame. I tied a knot and cut the ends about .5" from the top loop.



Get your pearls ready. Add one to an eye pin (or piece of wire with a loop created at the end) and create another loop at top. Attach a fishhook to one loop, then a jumpring to the other. Secure the jumpring around the antique frame's top loop to finish the earring.



Simple, right? These are great for wearing to a casual lunch - I would pair with dark denim skinny jeans, a flowy white blouse and ballet flats for simply chic style.



You could change up the crystal colors for different looks. Try all taupes and creams (maybe even flatback pearls) for a neutral scheme. Try bright neons for a total pop of color! Also, be sure to check out the Pandahall Facebook page for updates and new products, if you are a bead lover like me.
If you make these earrings, post a final picture to Instagram and tag me @quietlioncreations. I will repost you!

All photos copyright Allison Beth Cooling for Quiet Lion Creations. Do not post or reuse without crediting me and linking to me!

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful! As you said, you thought outside the box (or should I say bezel) to add the gems instead of the usual picture & resin...Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete