Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Indie metallic Rocks +diy



For all my gypsy souls - the power of gemstones paired with the high-shine of… Metallic Tattoos?! Yes, I did a little experiment, and Metallic Tattoos (the like MUST HAVE accessory of the summer) do work on surfaces other than skin. I played around with adhering them to rocks, because those are the types of things I do in my free time. Anyway, this crazy experiment worked!









I was super excited. My overabundance of gemstones (these are all hand-tumbled by my cousin and uncle, their company is KubahkaRocks) can now be decorated with some serious bling.
You can get the Metallic Tattoos about anywhere these days, but my favorite metallic tattoos are found online, from Amazon (or Ebay).

To give your rocks some shiny pizzazz, simply apply the metallic tattoos just how you would on skin. This also works on agate and druzy agate slices. Here's a step-by-step process:

1. Cut the tattoo down to size (if part of a larger sheet) and remove the plastic film.
2. Press the tattoo face-down on the rock (make sure the rock is CLEAN and DRY!) and press down firmly.
3. Take a paint brush soaked with water, and wet the paper backing 'till it's fully saturated. Press the tattoo down firmly but gently, so the tattoo doesn't slide.
4. After about 30 seconds of pressing, gently lift up the corner of the paper backing, and the metallic film should come off. Use the wet paintbrush to detach the tattoo if you need help releasing the tattoo. Be gentle!
5. Let the rock dry. Then, coat with clear gloss glaze to seal in the tattoo. Embellish with rhinestones for added sparkle!

You can use these to decorate with - fill a bowl with these goodies as a cool table centerpiece. Or, glue bails on the back (if using agate slices) and wear as charms.

Perfectly bohemian with a luxe touch!




All images copyright Allison Beth Cooling. DO NOT POST OR USE without crediting me!

No comments:

Post a Comment