Friday, September 27, 2013

Autumn Wood Keychain Charm


This is a simple and quick tutorial for a cool keychain charm. I was inspired by the turn of fall, and these super unique wood-print acrylic beads by Cousin Corporation. I thought mixing them with other textures, but beads of the same color, would make for a nice decoration for my key fob!


This kind of has a tribal-meets-backwoods feel to it, which I like! You can really use any "bead soup" here; feel free to make a combination of beads and colors you prefer!


Just a little something extra to spice up a boring keyring!
Let's get started!


Step 1: Gather materials. Needed are scissors, a key ring, wood beads (I used small 5mm ones), wood print acrylic beads (I used Cousin Flat Gold Beads), hemp cord (I used Cousin Brown Cord) and gemstone beads (I used Cousin Amber Gemstones).


Step 2: Cut a 4' length of your hemp and fold in half; at the center, make a Lark's Head knot (thread the open ends through the top loop and pull tight.


Step 2: String on one wood acrylic bead and make a square knot. Add on one large wood bead, make a double square knot, and one gemstone bead (make another double square knot).
You can reference my tutorial here on how to make those double square knots.  


After your gemstone bead, add on the square acrylic wood bead. To finish, add small 5mm wood beads on each hemp string; make a knot to hold the beads on and then trim the strings.


How easy?! This pattern is great because you can mix and match the beads to suit your style. I used a mix of woodsy beads and gemstones. If brighter colors are for you, feel free to use them!


This color combo and texture combo is super cool, and is pretty gender-neutral. These are great for guys and gals, because we all have keys! Why not make them look cooler?!!



If you share/use/post this tutorial, please link back to me. It is much appreciated! All photos copyright Allison Beth Cooling.






No comments:

Post a Comment