Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Liquid Crystal Headbands and Bracelets




Simply chic!
My newest tutorial features heat-set crystals which make it easy for embellishing satin and organza ribbons!


You can go gypsy-chic with a boho-inspired look…..


Wear them as stacking bracelets…..


Or, add some sparkle to any updo!


I will be using both Cousin Crystazzi heat-set crystals and Cousin M'Bellish silver studs.
Cousin's Crystazzi heat-set crystals are great to use for all types of projects. They are just like Swarovski Hotfix crystals, meaning you can just iron on to a variety of materials and fabrics.
Cousin's Crystazzi line includes crystal beads of various colors, shapes and sizes. They look like Swarovski but are much more affordable. These heat set crystals take the sparkle and shine of high-quality glass and put them in a very versatile form! Here I'm going to be using satin ribbon as my base, and adding the rhinestones on top.

You can follow Cousin brand on social media for updates with new products and more!



Are we ready? Let's get started!


Step 1: Gather materials. Needed are:

Satin ribbons in multiple colors/thicknesses 
Crystazzi Heat-set Crystals (the blue and red ones I have pictured here are NOT heat-set just the white are. I realized that when I tried to iron. I guess I cannot read packages!)



If you have non heat-set crystals you can always glue them to the ribbon. Use E-6000 glue if you do.


I laid out a long piece of ribbon and ironed it flat. About 6" from the end, I added my crystals in a row, about 6" or so and then covered them with a thin old white T-shirt. 



I pressed down the iron right on top of the crystals and held it for about 30 seconds. Lift up the T-shirt and see if they are all adhered. Then, flip the ribbon over, cover it and hold the iron on it again for about 30 seconds. 
You will be able to see the melted glue on the back when they are fully adhered.
Keep doing this, in 6" increments or so until the ribbon is as long as you need. Make sure you have 6" of free space on the other side of the crystals.


If making bracelets, wrap around your wrist and see where you need to cut and finish the ends. By leaving the free space, you won't be cutting into crystals if you need to make it shorter! Finish off with ribbon ends and a clasp.

If making a headband you can sew a strip of elastic to the ribbon ends so that it has some stretch. Make sure that about 6" or so of your headband is the elastic so that it's easy to get on and off.



Stack 'em up!


I went with neutral tones here, so I could wear them with everything. Go with neon colors for a rainbow-bright look!








All photos copyright Allison Beth Cooling. Do not use/post tutorial without crediting me!

No comments:

Post a Comment